The Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights, together with the Permanent Missions of Austria, Finland, Thailand and New Zealand, with support of the Essl Foundation and the World Future Council, held a side event at the UN Headquarters in New York highlighting the importance of the inclusion of people with disabilities in the labour market.
“Economic empowerment of persons with disabilities:
Where we are now and the way forward post-2015″
17th July 2013, 1:15-2:30pm
UN Headquarters, Conference Room 5 (North Lawn Building)
The discussion was opened and led by H.E. Jim McLay, the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations in New York.
Among the speakers were:
- Facundo Chávez, Disability Advisor, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Stig Langvad, Member of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Zero Project: Michael Fembek, Programme Manager, Essl Foundation, and Ingrid Heindorf, Human Rights Officer, World Future Council (Presentation PDF / Text DOC )
- Monthian Buntan, Member of the Senate of Thailand and Secretary-General of the Thai Blind Peoples’ Foundation (Presentation PDF)
- Patrick Clarke, Board Member of the International Disability Alliance
The event was extremely well attended – about 140 people joined, among them Barbara Murray from the International Labour Office, Johan ten Geuzendam from the European Commission, Maria Veronica Reina from GPDD, Axel Leblois from G3ICT and many more engaged for disability rights at international level. Captioning and international sign language were provided.